Main Forum
Page
of 5

Earris rambles about shit in here.......

44 replies
Votes:
+44
War Council
So i though i though for a while about doing a blog but instead i will just use this Thread i will just ramble about random bullshit that comes to my mind in here so if you dont like it ... well no one forces you to read this.

Content may be outrageously offensive so viewer discretion is advised.

Lets start this off with a topic i have had on my mind for a longer time now and a thing that may well be the oldest business on earth namely Prostitution.
As most of you will know i live in Germany and Prostitution is legal here under certain specifications of which i myself actually know nothing about but it always amazed me how many brothels and the like you can find even in respected parts of the city's if you just know what to look for.
As far as i know Germany is rather cheep compared to countries like the USA or Great Britain certainly compared to the parts of Asia where you can buy stuff like that legally.
Here i want to elaborate i dont care about illegal prostitution since it most of the time is just a part of basic human trafficking and this not really relevant for me besides the fact that it is terribly organized and could be optimized a lot for profits.
Back to the main topic the reason it was creeping around my mind was not only because well ... hookers.... but also the fact how the French are currently fucking up about everything possible with the new penalizing of clients. If implemented it would lead to a law that in short makes people that pay for sexual relations and get caught while do so have to pay a fine of up to 2000 Euro.
French government argues with they want to cut down on human trafficking a fact that if you see the statistics on how many crimes they solved last year that belonged in that category makes it look rather funny... they caught almost 300 people last year which according to my guesses would be less than 1% if you can go from German data on that.
A fine like that would only increase the rate at which people go "underground" for that matter and thus makes it easier to find clients that are already accustomed to this kind of business leading to a higher rate of human trafficking for prostitution.
What else comes to mind right now? Well as always Florida comes to mind if you go for crazy ... gotta love these people for the shit they do.... there the police now has used quad copter drones trying to catch prostitutes.
It probably comes without a surprise to anyone it failed hardcore.

Well that's it for now i have more or less forgotten what i was on about since my phone rang mid rant ... whatever will continue some other time.
sigbar_bloodletter.png
Posted Dec 7, 13 · OP
Votes:
+44
War Council
Well lets go for another since i am just in the mood right now.

I have already cut on it in the last one Human trafficking.
I feel i should specify first what i understand under this term just to be on equal footing with anyone reading this.
Under Human trafficking falls all transport of people that is not completely legal and is made with a profit in mind.

Thus the following thing would be considered Human trafficking.
Getting people out of War Zones around normal checkpoints most of the time this is done for astronomical prices since the people will have no other choice and thus are going to pay it.
This leads to a 2nd way what do you do with people that cant pay for it. Well you force them in so called Bound Labor meaning they will have to work for you till they have payed off any debts.
Close to this but not quite the same is Forced Labor where you basically can call the working person a slave since not only will they have to work against their will but also will their chance of ever getting freed are about zero.
So another reason for human trafficking is the one i had cut on in the last ramble good old sexual exploitation this is usually done to women but there are enough cases for males as well.
This one is quite the common one and probably the most profitable per time invested you just bind the girl to a bed and put a jar besides the thing basically free money. Since the mental and physical traumas from this are so extreme it rarely makes sense to keep them alive for a longer period of time you can increase it by put them under drugs but even then you only draw it out for a week maybe two.
Sure there are less extreme versions of this but it all comes down to where on the world you are doing your business in western Europe or north America you will have to be more careful since otherwise your product becomes worthless to fast here you actually have to take care of them at least a bit but for the recipient that only means that it is drawn out for longer. Even the few that ever have gotten free and where still able to report about this almost all had such severe mental traumas that there was no recovery possible.

So what actually motivates the trafficker to take the risk of getting caught? Well the Profit is quite high even if you subtract things like the usual bribe you will have to do. The highest profits are made funny enough in the poorest part of the world. How is this possible? Well technically the profits dont come from there but the goods come from there and they are almost free some of them can even be tricked into paying the little they have to take them out of their personal hell just to find them self in a worse version of it.

So what do people actually pay for? Well that depends on the country in some where prostitution is legal you pay for special services that would otherwise be against the law like satisfying your pedophile urge or making a snuff movie or why not both if you are at it anyway. You have to keep in mind that we are here talking about countries like Germany Austria Canada Australia and so on. Meaning you have a clientele that is not only willing but also most of the time able to pay quite a good buck for your service.
Another story are countries in which prostitution is illegal which are still quite a lot you have an easier time since you can for some part satisfy your customer easier most of them just want sexual release instead of exotic tastes but still you will have a problem with the bigger amounts of requests you will have to deal with.
Sure some of it is satisfied by the respective drug cartels since drugs and hookers always where and will be a thing that go great together. But still they need a steady supply as well. Also you will have to keep in mind that in some regions of the world you will have special desires anyway for example in Korea it is considered a great thing to be the first male a product has sex with. This leads to a bit of a problem since you only ever can have one first like with stuff that just keeps your product with heavy injuries or just plain dead you there will have increased prices for the same amount of risk you take on your side.

So how do you actually do the transport of your goods since you dont want them to be found but at the same time they are not as easy to transport as drugs for example since they will need at least some basic things to be alive after the transport.
Well this is an interesting problem and depends greatly on the region you are working in. In the more civilized parts of the world you just put your ware in a normal shipping container together with enough supply's for the trip and you are set to go. But in the less hostile places where you have to plan for surprise checks of your freight by local powers well first there are the bribes to keep that to a managerial level but what do you do if the local warlord wants some of your cargo for his personal child soldier squad. Well there are different ways to deal with that either you pay them off with your goods but in the long run this will probably lead to an increase of his demands so you might have to get involved in the political affairs to get rid of him.

Well ok now i have again been interrupted so i will draw this to a close here as well. Gotta go Late night showing of Frozen is about to end.....
sigbar_bloodletter.png
Posted Dec 7, 13 · OP
Votes:
+10
Im from florida and all I can say is fuck yeah we use drones cause we are too lazy and would rather play video games...
sigbar_bloodletter.png
dood.jpg
Posted Dec 8, 13
Votes:
+7
wrote:
Im from florida and all I can say is fuck yeah we use drones cause we are too lazy and would rather play video games...

Training people to fly drones require a lot less time, money, and manpower.

They are cheaper to buy operate and maintain (sometimes).

It is also safer, not putting real lives on the line, for military use.

They also have an advantage of being able to stay in the air longer to loiter and monitor over targets. Also for military use....hopefully ;)

Thought i'd just clear that up haha. I will not argue though we like to be lazy when we can :p
Posted Dec 8, 13
Votes:
+44
War Council
So Drones that is a funny thing as well especially since i did some work on them myself but more for that later.

First a small view into the History of Drones originally they where developed as aiming targets for anti aircraft cannons. You would build a small lightweight aircraft that you could use as target since most pilots did not want to fly as target dummies surprisingly.
Also fun fact Marilyn Monroe was working in the fabrication of these things during WW2 before she got discovered.
It did not take very long till someone had the idea that if you just put explosives in these things you can use them as aimed bombs.
Well back in the day the precision was terrible but since no one was doing surgical strikes back then as well it did not matter so they used them anyway.
The real revolution of drones happened during the US Vietnam War back then the amount of pilots the US Air force had was limited and thus they could only fly so many reconnaissance missions. The Army on the other hand wanted more information of what they are going to walk into so they put up the request for either more satellites or drones. Satellites at the time where so fucking expensive that other than the AFSA (precursor of the NSA) and the CIA no one really had the bugged to launch more of them. So they build the first reconnaissance drones that come close to what we have today. Basically a plane without a pilot that is flying a given rout programmed in form of way points. During the Cold War then people came up with the most insane crap ever. Ultrasonic drones like the D21 which would be launched of the back of a M21 (remodeled SR71) it was able to fly at 3+ Mach exact numbers are still classified.

Before i go into further development on the field first i think it is important to list why people would use Drones.
As Reign has already said they are cheaper than an aircraft for example a modern drone like the RQ-4 Global Hawk costs around 150m Dollar while a common reconnaissance plane with equal specifications like the Sentinel R1 will set you back around around 400m per aircraft.
They are cheaper to train for since it is kinda the point that the person controlling the Drone does have to know about jack shit. I have not personally seen a US control system but the Israeli ones are structured that even without a explanation you can fly the thing right of the start if you have at least half a brain.
They are safer for ground personal of the controlling side. True as well but they are a lot worse for the other side i will come to that later.
And now for the most important reasons why to use drones.
Even a long range reconnaissance aircraft like the Sentinel R1 can stay in the air for a maximum of 12 hours without refueling.
A Global Hawk can stay in the Air for up to 30 hours. And this is not even the maximum drones are build for today the Israeli IAI Heron can stay in the Air for up to 55 Hours (63 if you dont take wing loads).
So you get a lot more up time of your reconnaissance aircraft thus more information.

Ok now back to the Cold War it was a time where people still could argue with the technical feasibility as an sufficient point of why to build something. This lead to such great things as the NUCLEAR DRONE. Yes you got that right a Nuclear powered Drone since back in the day the US had almost at all times aircraft's with Nuclear bombs in the air to be able to strike a the CCCP at all times. They came up with the idea of why not build a drone that can fly for months so we dont have to refuel all the time and switch out pilots etc.
Well the principle was simple you build a Nuclear Power plant and then an aircraft around it (The size would have been comparable to the Boeing B52 Bomber) they would have used the Nuclear Power plant as a turbine heating the air directly with the fission powered reactor itself. This would have been the first part of the Weapon since the Air that got exhausted out of the turbines would have been radioactively contaminated. Then it would have had up to 20 Nuclear bombs on board. In case of a attack flight for the plane you would have at the end aka all bombs have been dropped launched the reactor into a hyper critical state and crashed the plane in the last target. These Nuclear Drones have never been put into service for a simple reason the amount of contaminated air that would have been created just from the first launch in the US was to much even in Cold War times. These Drones where planed to be able to stay in the Air for up to 10 Months (back in the day the flight computers where not powerful enough to do longer flights the Drone itself with modern technology could stay in the Air for up to 15 years before you would need to refuel the nuclear bombs since they then have lost to much of their load by radioactive decay)

So more to the present since the Cold War saw some interesting prototypes but the real growth in the field just happened recently since around September 2001. How do you fight a war nowadays if you are the 2nd most advanced military force on the planet with nearly endless resources. Well first you bomb the shit out of your target with cruise missiles and carpet bombing and all the fun stuff.
But what do you do if you enemy does not give a shit about it since you will mostly hit civilians and thus just giving him more reason to fight you while he himself is hidden in another country than the one you are bombing or in the mountains where you cant get precise targets or in underground bunkers that you cant hit without using super expensive bunker busters. Well first you use bunker busters but actually finding the bunkers is a problem so you more or less drop them at random crap which you wont be able to do for long since they are just that expensive that even with your nearly unlimited resources you cant produce them at the rate you waste them. Well what do you do against the civilians well you simply dont you just tell the world that you do surgical strikes that are so precise that you can shot a cruise missile from a carried that is stationed just about 1,5k miles away with a error of +- .5 of a meter into a target. What you dont tell them is that the target was a hospital where they treated the victims of the carpet bombing you have done that night.
Sadly i am not joking here this is a common military strategy that you argue was justified since all the victims had to be your enemies why would they have been in the bombed place otherwise.
Oh btw since cruise missiles are just a bit cheaper than bunker busters with about 1m per missile you cant keep them up for a long time as well. So what do you do you want to prevent ground warfare at all costs since then people will see casualties on your side something you cant play down as easy.
Well you remember that the reconnaissance drones you build are actually so poorly designed that you could easily mount 4 Hellfire missiles on them and they would still function up to initial specification. They have all the equipment to aim at board anyway since you want them to be able to mark targets for your cruse missiles. Well but how do you decide if the thing you see on your compressed 480i stream that you receive from the drone is a farmer or a Taliban? Well the answer to that is easy you dont it does not matter Hellfire rockets are cheap enough that even if you shoot the wrong target you wont get into problems and who gives a shit about a farmer in some near east country anyway.
Well no you will ask why is the video feed they get only 480i? And again the answer is quite simple a modern drone has up to 21 different cameras for different spectrum and different widths of angles etc on board and you can only transmit so much data so you use 480i with 5fps for each of them and let an algorithm decide beforehand to determine if the target is a enemy or a farmer.
I have worked on such an algorithm for Israel (the irony that a German helps Jews kill Muslims isnt lost on me) and the primary problem is that you use learning algorithms and hope that they will determine if the thing a person is holding is a shovel or a ak47 but here you run into problems of the hardware. Run the algorithm with the initial 5 mega pixel camera shot on your desktop at home and it will probably be right 99% of the time a error rare you can deal with. But run it on a drone crap hardware that does about a trillion other things at the time well you get down to about 45 to 50% which is still good enough for Israel but you might see the problem here.

Also you have to know the following most drons nowadays are no longer piloted by humans sure the official Airforce ones are but the Airforce has less drones than the CIA and NSA and both of them dont give a shit of what they hit and where they are supposed to operate. That is why you read things about american drones shooting down people in India Asia South America and so on. They dont care if they hit civilians either since they dont have people control the drones but rather just put the feeds into a mainframe and have that thing decide what to shoot at.
Spoiler it is wrong about 70% of the time it is a lot harder to decide if the person is smuggling drugs for a cartel you dont like or just going to school than if he has a shovel or a ak47.

Ok i am almost done one last funny fact. Guess what you can use CIA drones for as well .......

... you guessed it DRUG SMUGGLING ..... a Global Hawk can fly the distance from the origin country to the USA no problem and if you take out all the espionage equipment you can put around 2 tons of drugs in there. Which at a price of about 100 Dollar per gram
can buy you a new Global Hawk with ease.
sigbar_bloodletter.png
Posted Dec 8, 13 · OP
Votes:
+44
War Council
So since i have nothing to do today another one of these.
I just stumbled across this great quote.

"The magnitude of the eavesdropping is what shocked us," Bernard Kouchner said Tuesday in a radio interview. "Let's be honest, we eavesdrop too. Everyone is listening to everyone else. But we don't have the same means as the United States, which makes us jealous."

Bernard Kouchner is the former French Minister for Foreign and European Affairs (Orea can correct me if my translation of that is wrong).

So lets cut to the chase and my Topic this time its going to be SIGINT which stands for Signal Intelligence and if you ever wanted to have a great definition of that just go to nsa.gov/sigint/ wont really tell you jack shit but it sounds great also comes with a great quote besides it.

So what is SIGINT well that is the easy part SIGINT is everything that gathers information from a signal. That reaches from the point where you hear what someone else says since you gather intelligence from a audio signal to the point where you listen in on transatlantic fiber optic cables and listen to literally millions of people at the same time.

Since i feel this works well i will go for a short history of SIGINT again. You could say the first people that did Sigint where back in the days of old Greece and ancient Rome as you had curious intercepted and the message read to get some advantage just from knowing what others are doing at the moment. But it advanced quickly and at the same time you always will have to keep in mind the countermeasures people deployed from tattooing the message on the head of a person and then let them grow hair over it to the first simple Cesar Chiffre that is basically just a alphabet substitution. Breaking these was still quite easy as soon as you realize that some letters are just that more common than others in a language so you just break it with simple math. Later on the eavesdropping was bound to another quite clever thing you just had people listen in on the confessions or and that was a lot more common the father you gave it to was working for his order anyway. Gathering information that way was great since it was already filtered.
Father forgive me for i have sinned .... well that is just perfect you only get the thing that are bad and you can possibly use a leverage on a person no wonder this was one of the first things the church wanted to have back in the day.
The term SIGINT itself was developed way later though it was first done during WW1 since back in the day they used a thing called Field telephone these where basically just phones and since copper was rare you only used one line and then the earth as return.
For the other side it was easy to listen in since you just put a metal stick in the ground and enhanced the signal a bit.
Well now you will ask me why they did not use wireless transmission via radio waves back in the day? Answer to that is simple you can triangulate the signal within seconds and then just call in an artillery strike also Cryptography was not quite there to be able to make the transmission at least somewhat secure.
During WW1 and WW2 then it got crazy Germany developed the first versions of the Enigma a very basic but at the time almost unbreakable cryptography machine that got continuously developed on during the war to come. Now you will say oh the English totally broke that with no problems well this is almost true first of all it was insanely hard to break even if you knew the code and second of all they only broke it because the Polish supplied them with research results they had done before WW1 that made it possible to break in the first place. Modern Mathematics was just in the beginning back then and a lot of stuff was bleeding edge thus they had work literally thousands of people on breaking single messages from the Enigma in a time of war where you might think every hand could be used for other stuff.

Here you can learn on of the most important things about SIGINT if it is possible people will do it no matter the costs.
Never put things away with the words oh that is way to expensive for anyone to ever do this.

Also it is interesting that out of that code breaking comes a lot of stuff for modern computers as well since people like Allan Turing worked on it. Also another thing has to be kept in mind that the English did not use every information they gathered it was for them more beneficial to have the others think the Enigma wasnt broken than to lose a few dozen ships with hundreds if not thousands of people on board. They only used the information if they could create a plausible cover story for why they knew where which submarine was for example they send out aircraft's in the region beforehand.

tbc....
sigbar_bloodletter.png
Posted Dec 8, 13 · OP
Votes:
+7
If you know a lot of this information off the top of your head i am very impressed!
Posted Dec 9, 13
Votes:
+44
War Council
Thanks Reign yeah i am going mostly out of my head here so some facts might not be 100% correct but i try to avoid things where i am not certain. Also if you have topics you would like me to give my 5 cents about just let me know. Or some critic btw i know i am fabricating giant walls of text here but shortening stuff just does not work as well if i try to go at least somewhat into the depth of things.

So to continue my little history lesson on SIGINT.

I left of at WW2 back then things like transatlantic or transmeranian cables where just destroyed if you found managed to find one you cut it and so tried to force the other side to spend valuable resources on either fixing it or even worse having to lay out a new one.
This all changed with the following Cold War on US side the most notable mission is Operation Ivy Bells that was tasked with tapping the copper cables that still where the backbone of communication at that time. You can easily tap those via induction you just coil some copper around it and you can then calculate the original message that was transmitted. Wiretaps like these where quite expensive but since money did not play as much of a roll in the Cold War they were done on big scales. There is a interesting book about this called The Blind Mans Bluff it is about submarine missions during the Cold War one of the more common was being the installation of these taps. In Germany we have quite the History with Sigint in the time it was still fractured in east and west. Both sides spend quite the effort on gathering as much information as possible on the other side. The most notable installation on west and thus on US side was the so called Teufelsberg which translates to Devils Mountain an Installation in Berlin that at the time was still fractured in east and west as well. There the USA and Great Britain together had a lot of analysts stationed to asses the information gathered from microwave transmissions as well as from reading mail or tapping copper cables. Fun fact they had more high power mainframes in the installation on the Teufelsberg than in the rest of Europe together at the time. Back in these days the first big wave of cryptography came up and you needed those to decrypt messages as well as for just sorting though stuff.
Again here the amount of work put in those installations has to be noted all cables where isolated by tubes filled with nobel gas so that you could easily measure if one of these had been damaged or being drilled in.
We also no come in the first stages where fiber optic cables where used first they where said to be impossible to tap in (like quantum cryptography now) but it showed quite fast that they where not that hard either you attacked the amplifier stations or you build a so called bending couple that is quite the interesting piece of technology you can google it if you got the time.
All of this cooked itself for a while and it is hard to get real information since most of it is classified so you mostly know from failed missions like the expedition on the Nanda Devi being the 2nd highest mountain in India (around 7800m) it was perfect for a automatic Sigint station that should gather the flight data from ICBM (Inter Continental Ballistic Missiles) launches in Russia. Since the mountain is not easy accessible it was decided to place a Nuclear battery as power supply which would have generated energy for hundreds of years. The expedition carrying all that stuff up the mountain got into quite the storm though only a day or so below the peak. So they decided to leave the battery and the other parts of the Station there so they would only have to get them up the last part the next time.
Well as they came back all their stuff was gone it probably fell into the glacier it was placed on since you can still measure radioactive byproducts in the water there coming from the plutonium of the battery.
Also during the Cold War the first Sigint satellites where launched to listen in on microwave transmissions in Russia since you can gather the signal in space if you are in the right angle behind the point of origin. Or and this was even greater the US launched a few satellites that where on orbits so that they could listen in on transmissions between Russian satellites. Also the giant amount of Optical satellites that where launched at the time is quite impressive most notable maybe the Keyhole project. Some of you may remember that Google maps was originally called Keyhole since it used degraded images from these satellites but that isnt all. If you ever see a picture of one of these telescopes build by Lockheed you will wonder for a bit and then realize why it looks so familiar they are basically Hubble without the solar power collectors (which they dont need since they are all nuclear powered). They are also the reason why Hubble was launched with a 2.4m mirror instead of how originally planned a 3m the NSA allowed the NASA to use their fabrication facility to build the Hubble mirror. Also you may have heard that the NASA had been given a few old spy satellites that turned out to be about a hundred to a thousand times better than Hubble. These where later generation Keyhole satellites that by now use 3.1m mirrors and are also capable to view a lot more different of spectrum. By the way these are still in use most of them over Russia China and the middle East there are about 15 or so known at the moment.

But lets leave Star Wars behind since i could talk about that for hours and maybe i will one day there is so much fun stuff to explain there. And lets get to the present and the reason why i actually started all of this. As we all know the NSA is listening to almost all communication on the planet. Now you will say but wait that is impossible it would cost billions to do so and my answer is well yes it does. Since Echelon v1.0 the USA is able to listen to almost every phone call or fax that has been send. There was a big uproar about this in 2000 before the events in New York that silenced all of this and people though it would be cool now to have the NSA listen to everything just to protect them from terror (which btw is a joke they will never be able to do jack shit about terrorist). But now with things like Tempora the Belgacom Hack and the like coming out or how Norway Sweden and Denmark are working together with the NSA in great detail so that they can use the shit they have gathered on their people we truly have arrived in the post privacy are.

But post privacy and post democracy are a thing that most people dont understand anymore and i want to elaborate on this for a moment since it fits perfectly here. What are the reasons to gather that much data on common people and what are you going to do with it once you have it? Well both are good questions lets get them done one by one what are the reasons. Its not hard to see that once you have seen what google does with its Big Data you can profile people better than you have ever imaged. Google since it has that much data and that many years of practice with it now can say from the search history you generate for them when you will get sick when you had sex when you had a bad day at work and so on. You will no maybe wonder from what they can correlate this and it clearly is a great question how does google know that if you just searched for cheeseburger recipe that you just had sex. I will go of an example from myself here so please take it with a grain of salt since personal difference are quite common here. Well google knows that you seem to be hungry and in my case it also know that i have no had any other search for about an hour at a time where i usually am searching for more or less random crap. It also knows from experience that i like fatty food after coitus which you may very well judge me for but i dont care. It now uses these data points and a few others that it has gathered from me over time for example the amount of naked lady's i look up in the next few hours and so on to come to the conclusion that i must have had sex.
This was the explanation for dummies in reality shit is a lot more complex and the coloration algorithms you use have the problem that their complexity is quite high if you now throw literally all of these on a set of data you reach a point where it no longer possible for a human brain to follow the conclusions step by step.
So in short you gather the information about people to know what they are doing and if you have enough data points you are able to predict stuff with such a great detail it really can become scary. For example and this is another project i worked personally on you can from the twitter / facebook / etc feed of a person judge if this person is likely to join an ongoing riot.

So what do you do with these things if you have gathered them. Well you use them to prevent thing you dont want to happen. For example the last case i told you about. You have read the social networks of a person and judged it might be a chance there for this person to join riots if they are near it. What you do now is a bit tricky and still experimental but you basically fake the feed for this person for a while you prevent it from receiving certain information about riots. It wont get the facebook invite to join it wont get the messages from friends that tell the person to show up and it will block the twitter feed etc. These algorithms are still quite experimental but they work well if you have enough data the problem at the moment is to get them to work with small amounts of data since they break down at that scale.
Also you can judge the person on a level where you can say if it is likely that this person might participate in a crime and then just make its live hell. You can do that easy for example here is the Dutch project Gegenwirke which translates to work against. And it does just that it flags you for interesting in all the tax forms you put in so you will get the nice guys from tax investigation each time you put in tax. You will also have to be careful where your care is parked than it will be flagged for danger so if a police car sees you they will see if you really dont stand in a zone where you should not for example to far on the sideboard or not far enough. They will call health inspections to your house and the like.
For other people this will seem bad luck since the system does all these things usually just at random but in truth you are being fucked with without even knowing it. They will annoy you till you either really do a crime or you leave the country both of these have happened already.
In the United states the thing is not as far progressed yet there you just run the risk of getting send a squad to your home if your profile matches that of a terrorist but you have to keep in mind that the USA here have a giant problem to solve since the mount of information they have to work with is literally that of the world. Things like the new data center they have build which fun fact is exactly 11 times as big as the biggest IKEA are necessary to even come close to be able to work with all this information.

So i have no idea where i am now gotten a bit off topic probably but i think it is enough for now anyway.
sigbar_bloodletter.png
Posted Dec 9, 13 · OP
Votes:
+44
War Council
And another one of these i kinda like writing them to be honest even though i relatively sure that maybe just one or two people read them since it still is a huge wall of text but i can clear my mind while writing and maybe someone can gather some useful information out of these.

This time the topic will be the decay of education and why it is beneficial to the people that still have a good one.
I like to read i and i read a lot i usually read 2-3 books a week and usually listen up to 4 audio books in the same time.
In the time we all live in this makes me quite the rarity but also helps me connect dots since the kind of books i read is rarely classified as novel or the like. I usually read either scientific or at least journalistic books and i dont focus on any topics sure i favor math and physics but i dont have a problem with agriculture or biology if i get a good one in my grips. Why do i go on about this? Well kids these days (let me just stroke my long white beard here for a moment and tell you how i had to walk 15km up the mountain to school and uphill home as well also there was snow at least 3m high and also in Summer) dont read. Sure that is a big generalization and the success of books like the Twilight series or even Hunger Games might some say proves me wrong on this but to be fair i just dont count these. Hunger Games is somewhat ok but Twilligh well i could have shit a better book after eating alphabet soup. What i mean is they dont read books for education anymore even at university where i have the pleasure to teach some of these 18 year old brats. Yes i am not a lot older than them but well i at least feel like it.

What do i mean with this well i dont know who of you has and background in education and i dont mean has gone to school but has tried teaching. Teaching fucking sucks and whoever tells you otherwise usually lies or is a really lucky person with the students he ended up. In school - and i can only go for German Switz Austrian and Great Britain schools here since these are the only ones i had the pleasure to either be in or the misfortune of teaching their products - there is a problem nowadays. You sit there for hours on end and listen to a teacher that if you are lucky has at least some motivation to actually teach you something. This poor person has the task to help a group of people understand a more or less complicated problem but instead of trying to develop a solution together you just tell them the answer and let the figure out how to get there. Well not quite that way but that is what it comes down to. If you wait till every last man has figured it out even with your help you just cant get done so you have the fastest 2 or 3 figure it out and they should explain it to others. In theory a great idea help them to help them self. But like in economics this does not work since the smart ones already knew it anyway and them telling the others does solve jack shit.

Assuming you managed to pass your basic school somehow which requires literally just half a brain since at best you learn stuff by memory for a week or two and then you can forget it again. You then graduate to a higher School in Germany there are about a dozen or so different kinds of these from Gymnasium which in theory should be the best to Hauptschule (General School) that scraps the bottom of the barrel you got so many different choices and each of these will have a different idea of how you should learn there. In the Gymnasium you will learn at least two languages one of them usually being English and the other either Latin or French some have others like Spanish or Russian it is free for each school to have as my different as they want as long as they have English and Latin. You will also learn basic calculus and i dont say math here because you dont learn math you learn to calculate simple crap at best you get to low level differential equations. Then you will of course have German and there you learn all the great Poets and why how to write basic stuff if you are lucky you will have to read some old literature like Goethe and Schiller but most students nowadays cant even appreciate the skill that had been put in those works since they dont have the common knowledge necessary or are not able to tell the difference between a sentence from a soap opera and a Classic Novella other than it has strange grammar. Also you will for the first 3 years at least have History and Arts where Arts can be Music or Paint on some rare occasions even others but that is quite uncommon. In History you will learn a lot of Dates like the Battle of Issus 5. November 333BC and the coronation of Emperor Barbarossa 18. June 1155AD and so on ... A LOT of them you will forget within the week of your exam and never use them again (unless your brain is structured like mine and you just remember shit like that forever). In the Arts you will learn different kind of painting styles or musical eras maybe even some basic architecture. All of this is forgotten within weeks since it will never been used again.

So why do you have to learn all of this? Well in theory that you get the skill of learning BUT there is a problem here. You never get taught this skill you are expected to know some more fortunate are taught by their family others by payed tutors but most never learn it at all. And this is where the problem comes in you are still able to pass this school even if you have no idea of learning at all. Cheating is common and even without you can mostly bullshit your way though tests and thus learning the only valuable skill they will ever get in school how to bullshit your way around stuff. I wont even go in how from year to year the amount people have to learn is decreased since the grades are terrible also that this never helps the grades always stay about on the same level no matter how easy you make the stuff you have to learn.

Assuming you are at least as smart as about 43% of all Germans you then will be able to get to choose your University here are some restrictions for example you will need a grade average of 1.something (1 being the best grade possible while 6 being the worst and equal to a non pass) to chose certain subjects of study. For example if you will need an average of 1.0 to study medicine and a 1.3 for law. Can apply for a waiting list even if you are worse but usually it will take a long time to get there for example if you want to study medicine with a 1.3 average you will best case wait around 2 years for a slot. But unless you want to study one of these so called numerus clausus subjects you are free to join whatever you want. They problem here now becomes the first semester since some subjects like economics in great University can have up to a thousand students in this first semester but only about two hundred slots for practice lessons in the next semester they just kick out about 80% during the first semester exams.

Over the whole University time you will get a rate over all subjects of about 40% of students pass their stuff and get a basic degree.
This statistic is majorly flawed though since subjects like medicine and law have a failure rate of less than 10% they only ever take the best from the beginning. And you got things like Literature be it in English or German where about 70% of people that applied for the first semester also get a degree in the end (but only about 5% of these get a job). Over all and this is more interesting since they are considered harder in the natural science area you get a passing rate of about 5-10% depending on the subject. From my own experience in Math and Physics we had about three hundred students at the start at the end we where about a dozen left.

So i got distracted this gonna be continued tomorrow.
sigbar_bloodletter.png
Posted Dec 9, 13 · OP
Votes:
+44
War Council
So where did i left this one off yesterday.

The low graduation rate of University should at first glance be a good thing right? You only get the best to have a degree and thus each of those is worth more. Well in theory this is true but the problem is what you actually learn in University is worthless for example here in Germany if you go for a Math degree you basically learn all the stuff you will need to become a Prof at some point and not stuff that is used in the "real world". In other subjects like engineering you learn a lot of stuff like how to calculate complex structures for their static and how to draw complex technical blueprints by hand. Really useful stuff that no one need anymore since all this is handled by a computer nowadays.

So you spend your time with mostly useless tasks and trying to learn stuff you wont need even if you want to work in that exact field later on.
So far i would not even have a great problem with all of this but here comes my real problem. You dont learn things like critical thinking or the skills for self research anymore. You are feed with a lot of shit that might or might not (usually the later one) be useful for you later on in life but you dont get real education from it.
So getting from the general definition of Education which might be terrible translated but in German the word Bildung (Education) means the dynamical process of a Human gathering mental cultural and practical skills while honing his social and logical competence.
This surely sounds like quite the handful and it actually is but it also shows the problem i have with modern education quite well the problem of learning mental and cultural skills for some even social competence is just not done in any form.
You dont get mental skills nowadays anymore unless you study philosophy and even that is more of a "How to troll people" thing than true mental skills. Neither do you get cultural skills even if you go for an major in arts you most of the time spend more time of learning history than creating true art. Sure there might be a problem with my definition of art here since i personally believe most music, film or even paintings and sculpting does not qualify as art anymore since it is done only for the purpose of profit not for the purpose of art.

Social skills is i thing i will cut only short since i might have another full rant on that one later on. You dont get them from chatting on facebook or using twitter you get them from meeting a person in real live and talking to it for real.

So ok i feel i have exhausted my hatred for modern education quite enough lets go for why i think it is beneficial to people that still have a good one aka people that control our current system or people that will control it in the future.

Have you ever wondered why the bugged for education get reduced over time? Or why with each reform of the school system the quality of it product becomes worse instead of better? Well its not that hard to see that stupid people are helpful for a government.
They wont riot as fast since they dont even understand their own problems. For example Germany is seen as a great country for the people that live in it they are free earn a lot and are not manipulated as much as in other countries for example the USA.
Well truth be told nothing of this is true it is just done a bit more clever for example the thing about freedom sure you are allowed to move where you want as long as you do all the paperwork that can be rejected for almost no reason at all. Or the idea that you earn more well that one might be one of the best lies in recent history. Germany has a terrible wage level for its citizens you got in just the European comparison the 8 lowest wages on average and the 6 lowest for people that work half time.
So how does this happen? Well in Germany as in almost all other states on this planet you got a problem that about 20% of the people earn 80% of the money and thus the rest aka 80% can only earn 20% of the money. So what happens if you figure this into your statistic you end up with a thing that i like to call Income slope where you have the people that earn the most on the one side and people that earn the least on the other. If you compare these between countries you see great trends for example the following countries have very close lines. Germany USA GB Japan Well what does this tell us? By itself not a lot but if you now compare the minimum earnings of these to states like Norwegian Ireland or Iceland you will get quite the funny picture. People in Iceland might not earn as much at the top but the bottom earns about 10 times more than in Germany. How can this bee if Germany has such a great economy and all the people there on average earn about the same as in Iceland. Hm its easy you got people at the top that earn 10 times as much as in Iceland (actually they dont have to 5 times is enough) and the economy is a hoax anyway. Why do you ask well this is another topic for itself as well but in short form companies like VW Siemens and the like are actually just pools of money they dont create stuff they just gather money.

Well i have gone quite off topic here for a bit lets get back on track why is it helpful for the systems leader if people know less and especially have less mental skills to question stuff or logical to put things together. Well if you have not get gotten behind this i got bad news for you. In the world we live in where stuff is insanely complex and even trying to understand things like an economic crisis taxes most people to the limit of their brain. Now you understand what the common reaction is (Well there are these smart people i have elected they will know what to do) you can understand that they are just cool with you dont having a clue. You wont even be able to see if you are being sold out. But in return if they actually do something good for you they will still shout and think it is a bad idea (Thanks Obama).

I feel like i am done here maybe not if there are questions just leave them here.
sigbar_bloodletter.png
Posted Dec 10, 13 · OP
Page
of 5
Account
Top Posters
NoticeNotices