Main Forum
Page
of 4

Dont ya just love Straya!(Some info for all the not so aussie ppl)

31 replies
Votes:
+49
War Council
Meanwhile In Australia.

Hoopsnakes are dangerous snakes native to Australia. Commonly found in bushland and the outback, Hoopsnakes are NOT lethal, but are still dangerous when confronted. Although usually quite timid animals, Hoopsnakes have been known to chase down and attack animals and humans during their breeding period. If bitten by the Hoopsnake, headaches, vomiting, and temporary blindness and paralysis may occur.

What makes the Hoopsnake different from other snakes in the world is their ability to to roll, in a way much like a wheel or hula-hoop (hence the name, Hoopsnake). They bite onto their tail, which is very thick and callused, and use their strengthened spines to roll into a circular shape and roll around. Using this method, the Hoopsnake can reach up to 60km/h.

Although lots is known about the Hoopsnakes, they are not not very well known as they should be. They were never featured on any of Steve Irwin's television programs or his movies, which is quite disappointing. The Hoopsnake is a beautiful creature which deserves to be known throughout the world.
There is no definite breeding season with Hoopsnakes, as they breed year round. A female Hoopsnake will find a new mate every year. Couples only breed once a year, with the female laying around 10 to 15 eggs in a batch. On average, only 8 survive, due to the Hoopsnake being the main food source of eagles and hawks.

Hoopsnakes feed on small marsupials such as biblies, mice, rats and quolls. Baby hoopsnakes often eat crickets and other small insects. Hoopsnakes live around 8 years, and in their life time have been known to grow up to 1.5 metres long. They range from a light, olive green to a darker black in colour, depending on the age. This is why it is extremely difficult to identify the Hoopsnake, because the colours are so different.

Attached Images
Originally Posted by Mabus "Mabus did this, mabus did that, mabus hit me with a wiffle ball bat! Does QQing about imaginary QQing make you a QQer?"

sigbar_warcouncil.png
Posted Jul 4, 13 · OP · Last edited Jul 4, 13
List
Undo
Votes:
+12
i love Australia..someday when i have enough money? im gonna moved to Australia and retire there.
clowwsig10_zpsd9f3a4bb.png
Posted Jul 4, 13
Lofty Merc a[Å]
Votes:
+67
Admins
So humans started their path to intelligence by inventing the wheel. Now the snake has started. Soon there will be a firesnake, then a spearsnake, eventually, LIZARDMEN!
sigbar_archon.png
http://bloodpact.net
Posted Jul 4, 13
List
Undo
Votes:
+11
Tiba : Every now and then, I remember what I first saw in you.

Merc : You're a dickhead (still love you though).

Cloww : So will I. My proposition is for us to move to Melbourne. We'll join Tiba, create the Bloodpact home, live alltogether and have Bloodpact babies, and our time will be divided between playing games and making looooooooooove every wednesday night; as we should.
orea_sig_1.0.png
Posted Jul 5, 13
List
Undo
Votes:
+49
War Council
@ Orea "Every now and then" what the fuck is this! u are ment to see it all the time......... im aussie?
Just an FYI unless Cloww has a vagina im not down with that! and babies? I dont know how many times i told u,
my junk dont work like that its filled with blanks :p

And on a side note..........
Attached Images
Originally Posted by Mabus "Mabus did this, mabus did that, mabus hit me with a wiffle ball bat! Does QQing about imaginary QQing make you a QQer?"

sigbar_warcouncil.png
Posted Jul 5, 13 · OP
List
Undo
Votes:
+12
wut??
clowwsig10_zpsd9f3a4bb.png
Posted Jul 5, 13
Votes:
+10
wrote:
wut??

:lol:
Cooper-Hawkes-space-above-and-beyond-6172387-200-200_zpsbkaojqnh.jpg
Posted Jul 5, 13
Votes:
+11
wrote:
wut??

Well apparently Tiba's okay with making babies with me, but only if i take you out of the equation Cloww. Sorry, you can still visit though, mah idol <3
orea_sig_1.0.png
Posted Jul 6, 13
Votes:
personally im more afraid of drop bears , hoopsnakes are nothing once u figure out how to handle them.
(.)(.)
(ƒ;..; )ƒ --(RAWR)
(")(")
Posted Jul 7, 13
Votes:
+49
War Council
Dude bro we all know that drop bears are the ones to look out for but i was going to ease that one in, i used the hoopsnake as a way in.

Well her eis the info on them:

Identification

Around the size of a leopard or very large dog with coarse orange fur with some darker mottled patterning (as seen in most Koalas). It is a heavily built animal with powerful forearms for climbing and holding on to prey. It lacks canines, using broad powerful premolars as biting tools instead.

Size range

120kg, 130cm long, 90 cm at the shoulder.

Distribution

Drop Bears can be found in the densely forested regions of the Great Dividing Range in South-eastern Australia. However there are also some reports of them from South-east South Australia, Mount Lofty Ranges and Kangaroo Island.

Habitat

Closed canopy forest as well as open woodland on the margins of dense forest. Never encountered near roads or human habitation.

Habitat type

Vegetation Habitat: closed forest, tall closed forest, tall open forest, tall open shrubland

What does this mean?

Feeding and Diet

Examination of kill sites and scats suggest mainly medium to large species of mammal make a substantial proportion of the animal's diet. Often, prey such as macropods are larger than the Drop Bear itself.

Drop Bears hunt by ambushing ground dwelling animals from above, waiting up to as much as four hours to make a surprise kill. Once prey is within view, the Drop Bear will drop as much as eight metres to pounce on top of the unsuspecting victim. The initial impact often stuns the prey, allowing it to be bitten on the neck and quickly subdued.

If the prey is small enough Drop Bears will haul it back up the tree to feed without harassment from other predators.

Feeding Habit

carnivorous

What does this mean?

Mating and reproduction

Breeding occurs during summer and usually one baby, or joey, is produced each year. After six months in the pouch, the joey is gradually weaned from milk.

Era / Period

Quaternary Period

What does this mean?

Danger to humans and first aid

Bush walkers have been known to be 'dropped on' by drop bears, resulting in injury including mainly lacerations and occasionally bites. Most attacks are considered accidental and there are no reports of incidents being fatal.

There are some suggested folk remedies that are said to act as a repellent to Drop Bears, these include having forks in the hair or Vegemite or toothpaste spread behind the ears. There is no evidence to suggest that any such repellents work.

Classification
Species:plummetusGenus:Thylarctos

http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
http://nomadsworld.com/news/blog/top-five-scary-australian-animals

A comment from someone that has loat a loved one to one of these

MissVegemite•a year ago−

Thanks so much to the people who put this page up - Many international sites don't publish posts because of how many horrible Australian citizens have tried to endanger tourists by saying they're not real. Finally I have a page I can send to my foreign friends to try and educate them on vital bush safety.

However, the distribution map needs to be updated, as there have been hundreds of drop bear nests found in the outer regions of South Australia, and it seems nowhere is really safe anymore.

My cousin was attacked by a drop bear last year. There wasn't much left of him by the time we managed to get the damn thing away, and it's been really hard for my family to come to terms with the loss. His little brother watched when he was attacked, and he's traumatized. I don't think people quite realize just how deadly these predators are.

Really, people just need to be educated as to how to avoid confrontations.

Bird-eating Spider

Scientific Name: Selenocosmia crassipes

This is one of several species of large, aggressive spiders, which are found in the warmer and more arid regions of Australia. The largest species may attain a body length of 60mm and a leg span of 160mm, with powerful fangs 10mm long. The colour varies from grey-brown to reddish, often with a silvery sheen. Some species are known as barking or whistling spiders because of the sounds they can produce by rubbing their palps (the appendages between the front legs) along a set of spines at the base of their fangs.

Habitat:

The habitat ranges from sandy deserts to rainforests. These spiders construct long, silk-lined burrows or will utilise a log or rock for protection. The entrance to the burrow is surrounded by loose strands of web, which provide the spider with an advanced warning of approaching prey or danger.

Diet:

Despite its common name, the bird-eating spider rarely eats birds. Occasionally, hatchling birds will be taken from nests on the ground, however, the bulk of the diet comprises insects, lizards, frogs, and other spiders. Although the fangs are long and robust and can easily penetrate human skin, the bite is not deadly. The venom is quite toxic, however, and bites may cause severe pain, nausea and profuse sweating.

Reproduction:

The female bird-eating spider spends most of her life in her burrow. During spring or early summer. The male approaches the female's burrow and entices her out, hopefully without becoming dinner, to mate at the entrance. The female lays about 50 eggs into a 30mm diameter sack several days later, which is stored in the burrow and protected by a tough cover of silk. If the female leaves the burrow to hunt, she will often take the egg sack with her, secured between the palps and fang tips. While females may live in excess of ten years, the male usually dies after mating at around five years of age.
Attached Images

sigbar_warcouncil.png
Posted Jul 7, 13 · OP · Last edited Jul 7, 13
List
Undo
Page
of 4
Account
Top Posters
NoticeNotices