Page
of 2

Buddy Building a computer

10 replies
Votes:
+10
Hey Guys

I've got a buddy building a computer.
He wants to use AMD processor, I know nothing about them? He's looking to spend about 700-800 total (for all parts)
Any suggestions on anything?
I appreciate the help, as I said, not to familiar with AMD processors that much.
He would like to go with a AMD 480 as well (I suggested the Sapphire Nitro version whenever that comes out)

Thanks in advance!
darknova.jpg
Posted Jul 19, 16 · OP
Lofty Merc a[Å]
Votes:
+67
Admins
AMD processors are really obsolete, the only current platform is FM2+, if he goes with AM3+ he's not going to have an upgrade path. A 700-800 dollar budget with an RX 480 is good enough for an i5 and really should get one

The FX-8xxx and FX-6xxx were outperformed by their contemporary Intel competing products, let alone the ones we have now 4 years later.

That said, AMD ZEN CPUs are coming out in the coming 6 months so if he's set on AMD CPU he should wait until then.
sigbar_archon.png
http://bloodpact.net
Posted Jul 19, 16 · Last edited Jul 19, 16
Votes:
+10
Thanks merc, any suggestions on which i5, I haven't really paid attention lately since I haven't had time lately to keep track of things lol
darknova.jpg
Posted Jul 19, 16 · OP
Lofty Merc a[Å]
Votes:
+67
Admins
wrote:
Thanks merc, any suggestions on which i5, I haven't really paid attention lately since I haven't had time lately to keep track of things lol

If you can find a good deal on the i5-4670k or 4690k that's pretty good, if not the 6600k is current. As for motherboard, I would go for an ASRock Z170M Pro4S or if that is too expensive the MSI Z170A PC Mate

Also look for used i5-3570k or 2600k CPU+motherboard combos, because they're both better than AMD FX-8xxx builds and should keep cost down while not bottlenecking any new GPUs. (Overclocking is required anyway no matter if old or new)
sigbar_archon.png
Posted Jul 19, 16 · Last edited Jul 19, 16
Votes:
+10
500W good enough, right?
darknova.jpg
Posted Jul 19, 16 · OP
Lofty Merc a[Å]
Votes:
+67
Admins
wrote:
500W good enough, right?

Yeah no problem
sigbar_archon.png
Posted Jul 20, 16
Votes:
+10
After market CPU cooler?
darknova.jpg
Posted Jul 20, 16 · OP
Votes:
+44
War Council
Unless he wants a quiet build, not worth it. The performance differences are not that big. Also depends if he can get a unboxed cpu cheap, because if he saves 20 bucks on the cpu he might as well use a aftermarket cooler and get the system a bit more quiet.
sigbar_bloodletter.png
Posted Jul 20, 16
List
Undo
Votes:
+10
Thanks guys
Just wanna make sure...Hows this look:
Case: Cosair 100r
MOBO: MSI Z170A Mate
CPU: i5-6600k
GPU: RX 480
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133
PSU: EVGA 600W B1

Think that should be everything, didn't include SSD or HDD on purpose.

Thanks again guys for the help, it's been so long, I need to start researching again lol
darknova.jpg
Posted Jul 21, 16 · OP
Votes:
+44
War Council
The one thing you might want to think about chanching is that you get a small motherboard and case. Unless there is a need for more graphics cards later on, why not get a micro ATX board and a smaller case?
sigbar_bloodletter.png
Posted Jul 21, 16
List
Undo
Page
of 2
Account
Top Posters
NoticeNotices